Stop right there! take a minute or two to brush up on some information on your heart's health.
- High cholesterol levels can lead to a buildup of plaque in the artery walls and this narrows your arteries.
- As a result a condition called atherosclerosis develops and can hinder blood from flowing unimpeded through the heart and body; consequently increasing your risk for heart disease.
- Your body uses cholesterol to make cell membranes.
- Cholesterol is a waxy substance found naturally in the body.
- It is important to keep the bad cholesterol LDL low and your good cholesterol HDL high.
- The majority of cholesterol is made in the liver
- However, if you have more cholesterol in your blood than your body requires the result is a buildup of plaque in the arteries.
The target for your healthy cholesterol levels will depend on certain cardiovascular risk factors; this includes age, family history, stress, being overweight, blood pressure and whether or not you smoke or have diabetes.
High-density lipoprotein (HDL) takes cholesterol away from the arteries to the liver to be eliminated. A high level of HDL is considered heart healthy.
On the other hand, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) takes cholesterol away from the liver to the body tissue. A high level of LDL cholesterol increases your risk of heart disease.
Your diet may also contribute to raising cholesterol levels,
- Especially a diet that is high in saturated and trans- fat.
- Evidently, your best interests are served when you reduce your intake of saturated and Trans -fat which raises LDL levels.
- Saturated fat is found in meats, poultry skin, butter, dairy products.
- A good heart smart diet has an impact on lowering your risk of heart disease.
- For example, Omega-3s reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke by breaking down the bad cholesterol in the bloodstream.
You can help keep your heart and blood vessels healthy, cut down on saturated fat since it raises your blood cholesterol level. Keep the cholesterol in your diet under control, remain informed and knowledgeable.
Pay attention to your cholesterol numbers and stay heart healthy.