Your eyes are one of your most valuable assets they allow you to take in your surroundings, and experience the world. Having healthy vision can help keep you safe.
Taking care of your vision should be a priority, just like eating healthy or engaging in physical activity.
If you are a sighted individual your eyes are constantly in use when you are awake. Your eyes are functioning continually to provide sight and oftentimes they become overworked and tired.
. Most likely, your eyes are usually taken for granted and scarcely do you think of the stress and strains your eyes are subjected to until you experience some discomfort or change in our vision.
Typically, common eye disorders can be broken down into major eye symptoms and minor eye discomfort. For example, blurred vision is common to many eye conditions however blurred vision can be either a mild or a serious problem that requires prompt attention.
Some typical Eye Issues are :
- Mild blurring that may be associated with tiredness, dryness, strain, or even a lot of near vision work.
- Pink eye or allergies, may cause mild blurring, either of these conditions need to be speedily attended to but are not slated as emergency situations.
- When there is mild blurry vision sometimes simply resting your eyes may solve the problem however if the blurry vision persists appropriate medical help must be sought. ,
Other vission issues such as cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration are the main causes of visual impairment and blindness as you age. These common eye problems can be either cured or curbed if caught early.
- Cataracts are a condition indicated by a clouding of the lens in the eye. Most cataracts are senior age-related however, they can develop at any age. Cataracts can be the result of injury or from protein deterioration over time that can cause the fluid inside the eyes lens to cloud. Cataracts are one of the only common eye problems that can be completely cured through surgery.
- Diabetic retinopathy is an eye disease that occurs as a complication of diabetes, this condition associated with Types 1 and 2 diabetes The blood vessels of the retina and various structures in the eye become severely damaged this can cause vision distortion or loss. If you are diabetic it is important to be aware of and on the look out for this unpleasant side effect of this disease
- Glaucoma can damage the eyes optic nerve and it only worsens over time resulting in a loss of vision and starting with peripheral (side) vision. Unfortunately, glaucoma has few or no initial symptoms it is associated with a higher-than-normal pressure inside the eye. Left untreated, glaucoma can cause peripheral vision loss and can eventually lead to blindness. Glaucoma can also arise acutely. When you have blurred vision that happens suddenly, that persist and cause pressure in your eyes.
A few years ago a rather young friend with no familial or personal history of glaucoma suffered an acute glaucoma incident. Suddenly her vision blurred and sight was lost in the left eye. It was only through prompt attention in the emergency hospital setting that it was possible to restore partial vision in the left eye
- Glaucoma Treatment is dependent upon the severity, and can be treated with either surgery, lasers or medicated eye drops.
- Early detection and treatment of glaucoma are important.
4. Age related Macular Degeneration is a leading cause of blindness and is symbolised by damage to the area of the retina that perceives light. There is no known cure for macular degeneration however, current treatments can slow the progression of the disease
Vision changes will happen and maintaining your eye health should be of utmost importance. So, recognize that your eyes can change at any age and usually deteriorate as you get older. As you age you tend to lose the sharpness of vision and overtime you will unconsciously adjust to diminished vision.
If you value your eyes do not wait until your vision is compromised to seek eye care. Keeping up with your regular eye doctor appointments is the best way you can ensure healthy vision.
Always attend with haste to any vision changes, take superior care of your eyes to keep them in tip top shape and aim to maintain good vision that would last you a lifetime.