The COVID-19 outbreak is causing stressful social and psychological effects. Covid19 can engender feelings of fear, anger, sadness, irritability, confusion. The impact of which is life changing.
The large quantities of daily Covid19 reports, not knowing how bad it is, and dealing with the facts and myths cause anxieties.
Your ability to cope with stress and anxiety will vary depending on the type of crisis you face.
Preoccupation with possible virus contamination create anxiety. Mandatory social-distancing and quarantine elicit loneliness, disquiet, and intense anxiety.
Life concerns such as money worries, family relationships, health, and health care bring on increased stress and unease. Both stress and anxiety can result in an inability to act.
If you feel that you are not coping well in managing stress and anxiety, here are suggestions to help you maintain mental wellness through this challenging time.
Manage Anxiety Enhance your Overall Wellbeing:
- Fact-check your thoughts because what-ifs often stir up anxious thoughts.
- Examine the situation. Seek to separate the real risks and dangers from those what-ifs your imagination is making you worry over.
- Take control of the things you can but accept those you cannot change.
- Carefully implement the public health guidelines regarding prevention, safety, and protective behaviors. These precautions are to protect you and to make sure that you do not inadvertently spread the virus.
- Engage in calming practices to challenge anxious thoughts. Meditation induces relaxation while deep breathing calms.
- Sleeping soundly also soothes anxious thoughts. If you find it hard to sleep adjust your sleeping environment and sleep schedule.
- Exercise is good therapy for coping with anxiety and stress. Get active, get moving.
- Physical-social distancing impacts emotional well-being. It is important to reach out, to stay connected to others by a video or phone call or text with friends. Social support is beneficial.
- Alcohol or drugs produce mood changes, avoid using such substances.
- Seek help from a therapist should anxiety become overwhelming or interfere with daily living tasks.
- Take medications as prescribed for the physical symptoms that accompany anxiety and stress. Medications will keep such symptoms under control.
Deal with the stressors stemming from Covid19 that are causing you to struggle with stress and anxiety.There is help available in many areas to minimmize the impact of the virus induced life challenges and changes. Reach out to get through it.
Begin taking small steps every day to manage and eliminate your anxiety.