With all the lockdowns, quarantines, and social distancing, loneliness is on the rise. Let us talk about c loneliness and what you can do to alter it.
The human psyche has taken a beating since there are an enforced shelter-in-place and a reduction in physical contact and social relationships.
Loneliness does not strike because you are by yourself. Loneliness is a state of mind the way you feel inside and not about being alone. It is a constant state of feeling disconnected, unwanted, a sense of estrangement.
Some people are lonely because they entertain feelings of inadequacy. Others feel that they are not good enough for the respect, interest, or esteem of others. Or maybe fearful of letting other people get close.
Loneliness also arises from feelings of rejection or isolation. Being lonely can be hurtful.
One's psychological health is affected adversely by loneliness, and it is also one of the symptoms of depression.
Some factors cause temporary loneliness. Loneliness occurs during periods of transitions, physical separation, moving to a new location. A divorce, end of a relationship are all factors that cause lonely feelings.
Lonely people often crave human relationships. Yet fail to feel connected as even in a crowd, some people feel lonely. It is hard to overcome loneliness when you do not understand why you are lonely. Or when you feel alone in your loneliness.
Reaching out is pivotal to minimizing or doing away with loneliness.
Ways of Managing Loneliness:
- The first step is to accept that you are in a state of loneliness. Acceptance is necessary to cope with and manage loneliness.
- Changing your loneliness state is in your hands once you acknowledge that you are not alone. You are in control of making a difference.
- Decide to be approachable. It is helpful to challenge yourself to take the initiative in social relationships.
- Do things that allow you to feel more connected.
- Work on building up connections with loving, caring family and friends.
- Try reaching out to people who share similar interests.
- Stay actively involved with social networks.
- Welcome change and be amenable to adjustments in interactions with relationships.
- It is to your advantage not to be distant, standoffish, snobbish, or unfriendly.
- Seek out appropriate professional help for assistance to deal with your feelings of loneliness.
Getting rid of your loneliness state is up to you. But You can change, tweak, or even grow your relationships.
Look at yourself and ask, how am I going to do this? Take stock, consider what sensitive communicative ways will help you to get rid of your loneliness.