If you are putting on weight or are already overweight, you must step back and ask why. Let there be no shaming or blaming surrounding your weight gain.
Factors that can make it challenging to lose weight or keep weight off include lifestyle, age, gender, genetics, family habits, and culture. Even where you live, and work has an impact on your weight.
You may not be able to alter or modify some of these factors. However, recognize and acknowledge the sources of your weight gain.
You are in control of two factors that are essential to attaining a healthy weight.
- Essential 1......Regular physical activity balances out the calories you consume with the calories you expend.
- Essential 2....Healthy eating lifestyle
Essential (1) Physical Activity:
- Physical activity is a great health practice to improve your health and also to maintain a healthy weight. It is good to be as physically active as you can be
- Make every effort to engage in a regular exercise program. Keep moving.
- Exercise contributes to weight loss as it burns calories and builds muscle.
- Add in extra walking to your daily routine. In particular, a short walk after a meal is good for you.
- The more you exercise, the better able you will be to lose weight and maintain weight loss.
- Minimize sedentary habits, periodically get up, getting moving. Stand up, walk around, do some stretches to increase physical activity.
- Besides weight loss, by being physically active you will gain overall well-being as well as many health benefits
- Physical activity reduces blood pressure, improves heart health, stabilizes blood sugar.
- Physical activity reduces anxiety, improves mood, energy level, and helps you sleep better.
Essential (2) Healthy eating:
Healthy eating makes for staying healthy and managing your weight. You need to set goals for eating and maintaining a healthy diet.
Maintaining Healthy Eating Habits:
- Plan your meals to help with weight control.
- Focus on your daily eating pattern.
- Start your day with a nutritious breakfast.
- Choose foods that have a lot of nutrients but few calories.
- Eat foods high in fiber, whole grains, lean protein, low-fat products, a range of fruits and vegetables.
- Replace sugary drinks
- Go meatless, a few days during the week. Focus your meal on vegetables. Add a protein source such as beans or lentils.
- Keep track of your calorie consumption. You will need to burn the same number or burn more calories than you eat and drink.
- Measure your portions, to control the amount you are eating. Say no to returning for seconds.
- Rebuff the temptation to binge on eating excess sweet treats.
- Regular weigh-ins can help you see our progress.
Additional ways to help manage weight include getting optimal sleep and reducing stress.
Being stressed-out can affect how you eat and exercise. Find ways to manage stress
You can sucessfully fend off extra pounds by doing these essentials. Once you do, you can make the best choices for losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight.