Ingredients you'll need:
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger or fresh ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup shortening or butter
1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt, baking soda and spices; set aside.
- Blend molasses and water well; set aside.
- BEAT shortening or butter in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Blend in egg.
- Add flour mixture alternately with the molasses mixture,
- Beating well after each addition.
- Pour into greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake 30 mins. or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cut into squares.
- Serve warm or at room temperature topped with your favourite topping
Serve with a topping of either,
whipped cream, applesauce, lemon sauce or dust with confectioners sugar.
Or you can eat it alone, it's moist and absolutely delicious
It is your choice. Enjoy!